- National Fluoride Database
Launched by USDA
By Mary Sparrowdancer
© 2004 All Rights Reserved
- “An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.”
- –Orlando Battista, Chemist.
- Upon first learning that a “new database” on fluoride levels in foods and drinks had been published in October, 2004 by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), I dropped what I was doing and rushed to look at the publication. A sense of hope welled in me – hope born from hope that perhaps at last, those governing what is left of our “government” had finally come to their collective senses, and were finally “fessing up” to the 60-year-old charge that graft, incompetence and lies are behind the mass-medicating of Americans via our drinking water – a scheme that was a mistake from the very beginning. It is an ongoing mistake that has resulted in so much disinformation pertaining to fluoride that this toxic substance has now been poured into most of America’s water, it is in our foods, in household goods, in the air and it is in a growing number of drugs that Americans take daily.
- I was scarcely able to wade through the emailed press release and then the introduction of this latest report, before once again feeling the curious sensation that seems to accompany the reading of most government publications – that odd feeling which occurs when my eyes roll upward in exasperation. The confession has not yet come; it is still a long way off. But this was at least one small step for us all into the direction where ignored truth has patiently awaited discovery for over a half a century. It is in embarking upon this path that the education of the American public regarding fluorine, fluoride, organofluorides and fluorinated products can finally take place.
- It is within the first three or four sentences of the press release, titled, “Tracking Fluoride in the National Food Supply,” that we catch a glimpse of what this report is really all about. In reality, it is about the accumulating consequences of deliberately contaminating America’s water supply with the industrial waste product commonly referred to as “fluoride.”
- “For more than half a century,” the opening remarks of the press release state, “to prevent tooth decay, small amounts of fluoride have been added to many U.S. municipal water supplies. That fluoride, as well as naturally occurring fluoride from wells and other water sources, subsequently finds its way into water-based beverages and foods.”
- Moving onto the introduction of the study, we discover what our “Adequate Intake” of fluoride is. According to various professional studies, and as can be seen in the Physician’s Desk Reference, (PDR), “there is no evidence that fluoride is an essential nutrient for humans.” Despite this, an “Adequate Intake” has been determined for us by those who are promoting pharmaceutical-grade fluoride products, and promoting the industrial waste fluoride that is being added to our drinking water.
- The promoters have determined that in order to “prevent dental caries,” our “Adequate Intake” for their product has been set (by them, and those partnered with them) at 0.01 mg a day for infants up to six months, and it is 0.05 mg/kg for infants and children older than six months. The dose for adults is simply 3 mg a day for women, and 4 mg a day for men – one size fits all per gender. Whether we are toothless or not, the promoters have been assuring us for over fifty years that fluoride added to our drinking water will “prevent dental caries.”
- In order to “prevent dental fluorosis,” however – the mottling and discoloration of the teeth that is considered by the American Dental Association to be a “purely cosmetic” problem – the USDA quotes from the Institute of Medicine (which is also promoting fluoride), stating that the Tolerable Upper Intake Level for fluoride ingestion is capped off at “10 mg a day” for everyone over the age of eight.
- Unfortunately, dental fluorosis is one of the only clearly visible signs of fluoride poisoning (other than death due to catastrophic fluoride accidents) that is medically recognized in this country. The Upper Intake Level for preventing problems that are far more serious than dental fluorosis – problems that are internal, systemic and may not be clearly visible or even recognized in this country at this time – are not even mentioned.
- In addition, according to information that can be found on the American Dental Association’s website, dental fluorosis is the result of an “intake of too much fluoride while the enamel is forming before teeth erupt.” Therefore, for those of us whose teeth have already erupted, monitoring them for signs of fluoride poisoning in the post-eruption years of our lives is apparently of questionable benefit.
- In keeping all attention deflected away from overall health and focused with tunnel vision only upon the pre-erupted tooth, no mention is made of the other problems that systemic ingestion of various fluoride compounds via skin, mouth and nose have been associated with, such as thyroid malfunction, altered mental status including depression and violent, uncharacteristic behavior, memory problems, gastrointestinal problems, cardiac arrhythmias, liver problems, bone problems, and joint, tendon and muscle problems, including rhabdomyolysis.
- The USDA then states that similar suggested dosages and upper limit levels of fluoride ingestion have also been endorsed by the American Dental Association and the American Dietetic Association, as though the mere mention of such names commands immediate and unquestioned respect and suggests something akin to authoritarian infallibility.
- Both of the above ADA groups, however, are unyielding fluoride promoters, which, in and of itself, indicates neither group has been doing any real homework.
- It is the American Dental Association – a professional association of dentists – that staunchly backs the systemic, mass-medication of Americans under the claim that this drinking-water maneuver will “reduce cavities.” And yet, one might reasonably think that after waiting for sixty years for any signs of the miraculous dental health claim to occur, we might have seen something by now that would favorably back up this aging, empty promise. The promised results have not yet occurred. In fact, in 2000 the Surgeon General issued the “first ever” call to action due to increasing dental problems in the U.S., although we are now, as a country, completely inundated with fluoride.
- Kentucky would have been a very good place to set up camp and watch for the long-awaited dental miracle to happen, because Kentucky was 100% “optimally fluoridated” in 1992, and remained over 96% “optimally fluoridated” in 2000, in spite of eight more years of patient but meaningless miracle-waiting.
- Despite this grand level of fluoridation, in a 2002 article in the Cincinnati Enquirer it was noted that, “In Kentucky, nearly half of the commonwealth’s 2- to 4-year-olds have cavities.” This is approximately twice the national average.
- In 2003 the American Dental Association and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) gave Kentucky a “Fifty Year Award,” which is an award given to states in recognition of their community water fluoridation. In 2002, however, in a Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the CDC named Kentucky as the top state in the U.S. in which residents had lost all of their teeth. According to the CDC report, 42% of Kentucky’s adults are completely edentulous.
- Given the steady flow of fluoride coursing through Kentucky and its residents and given the over half-century-old promise of dental benefits, one might have realistically expected a very different dental score for this state that has complied so thoroughly with the demands and pressures to become “optimally fluoridated.”
- The little-known truth, however, is that this edentulous outcome and problematic score is exactly what might be expected from a highly fluoridated population.
- Fluoride is known to precipitate and exacerbate periodontal disease, because it stimulates the body’s production of prostaglandins. The wording in a patent claim filed in the U.S. Patent office in 1996 for a topically applied fluoride product clearly states this fact –
- “The term periodontal diseases relates to conditions in which the gingiva and underlying alveolar bone are attacked…We have found that fluoride, in the concentration range in which it is employed for the prevention of dental caries, stimulates the production of prostaglandins and thereby exacerbates the inflammatory response in gingivitis and periodontitis.”
- In order to prevent the fluoride-induced periodontitis from occurring, the above claim for a patent describes a product that also delivers a dose of an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) to counteract the expected problems caused by the delivery of fluoride.
- One cannot help but wonder if this might be the real reason behind the national push for Americans at risk of heart attacks to take one aspirin a day to help prevent further cardiac problems. Aspirin is categorized by Merck as one of the NSAIDs that relieves inflammation by blocking prostaglandins. According to the FDA, prostaglandins appear to be associated with heart attack.
- Sadly, and in keeping with this question, the leading cause of death in Kentucky is heart attack. Also falling into place is the fact that Kentucky is among the top five states in which the people are suffering from and struggling with one of the highest percentages of obesity in the United States. Fluoride – as cannot be stated often enough – interferes with the functioning of thyroid hormones. Sadly, however, very few physicians appear to be currently aware of this.
- Because influential groups such as the American Dental Association continue to make their unproven medicinal claim about water fluoridation while at the same time demanding that all Americans be subjected to this dental treatment via their drinking water regardless their age or existing medical conditions, it is time for the rest of the medical community to begin taking a serious look at the potential problems associated with fluorine and fluoride compounds, the most serious problem being the complete lack of awareness and education pertaining to the toxicity of this substance.
- Studies on the effects of systemic ingestion of fluoride via drinking, breathing and bathing in it are medically indicated and long overdue. The suggestion that “the dose is the poison” is also overdue for an overhaul. Fluorine readily attaches to other substances, not only altering biochemical properties, but at times potentiating toxic effects many fold.
- Fluoride is known to interfere with the functioning of thyroid hormones, it is a neurotoxin, it is a potent liver toxin, it has been found to be grossly accumulating within the pineal gland, it is associated with cancer, it is the substance that turns Sarin into a deadly nerve gas, and when it is added to water, it can eat its way through a titanium container. According to the PDR, “Fluoride absorbed from the stomach appears to be absorbed as hydrofluoric acid.” According to a study on its toxicity that can be found on eMedline, “Once absorbed, fluoride binds calcium ions and may lead to hypocalcemia.”
- Clearly, this is not a substance that the majority of an entire nation should be forced to swallow, bathe in, inhale, cook with, and ingest via their drinking water on a daily basis.
- The other group mentioned by the USDA above as endorsing the “fluoride Adequate Intake” levels, is the American Dietetic Association. According to information that was located on their website on November 13, 2004, this group not only joins hands with the other ADA in promoting fluoride via mass-medication, but it is also endorsing the USDA’s “Food Pyramid,” despite published evidence indicating the Food Pyramid is a deliberately altered fraud. The Food Pyramid is, in fact, so fraudulent, that no one who truly values their health or the health of their family should be following the dietary recommendations contained within it.
- The deliberately altered Food Pyramid encourages Americans to consume as the primary base of their diet, the “Bread, cereal, rice and pasta group: 6-11 servings” a day.
- The correct, actual and true suggested servings for whole grain cereals and grains had actually been capped-off at 2 to 4 servings, maximum, with the 4 serving’s level set aside for larger, physically active males. Baked goods, crackers, etc., had been removed from the “daily” area, and placed into the “occasional treat” area. The real suggested base of our diet before the behind-the-scenes switch took place was 5 to 9 servings a day of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- My information about the alteration of the real Pyramid has been obtained directly through personal discussions with Luise Light, M.S., EdD., the nutrition expert who was recruited by the USDA to create the Food Pyramid. It was she and her team who actually created the real Food Pyramid.
- Dr. Light and her team were later stunned to find that their Pyramid had been completely altered prior to its being given to the unassuming American public. Instead of the fresh fruits and vegetables that the team of nutrition experts had suggested as the base of our diet, the base had been switched to “6 to 11 servings” of starchy foods daily. It was a switch that created a potential windfall profit for industries marketing such refined goods, as well as a windfall profit for those who would profit from treating the problems caused by such a diet.
- “In fact,” Luise stated, “the health consequences of encouraging the public to eat so much refined grain, which the body processes like sugar, was frightening!”
- Perhaps it is at this point that we should pause for a moment and consider that it has been individuals holding key government positions who have permitted and promoted the mass-medication of Americans via fluorinated drinking water, and individuals holding other government positions who have told us to eat “6-11 servings” of starch a day. It is time for Americans to begin asking questions, and to take an active role in protecting their own health.
- Add to the daily overload of starch, a daily dose of fluoride, which is known to interfere with thyroid functioning, and one has the perfect recipe for creating an entire nation of formerly robust people who are now struggling with their weight, their teeth, their bones, their depression, their inflamed GI tracts, and so on. Add to that picture the push on soy products, which also interfere with thyroid functioning, and one might begin to understand why there is an epidemic of obesity and diabetes in the United States.
- The conditions, however, are being blamed on lifestyle, laziness, lack of personal willpower, too much computer time, lower education. Blame is attached to everything but the real, underlying cause.
- Strangely synchronistic, it was while I was looking at the “causes” suggesting the victims are somehow to blame for their problems, when I received an email from a veterinarian whose observations indicate the problem has nothing to do with laziness, computers or educational status. She stated that when she moved from a rural area served by well-water to the fluoridated area where her new practice is currently located, she observed numerous dogs and cats in that new practice being medicated for hypothyroidism. She had not seen this in her previous practices.
- “The latest diagnosis of hypothyroidism in a dog here was just last week,” wrote Mary Emerick, DVM, adding, “Diabetes in both dogs and cats seems more prevalent here, and more so within the last 5 years.”
- In addition to the animals being subjected to the same water that their owners are receiving, some commercially prepared animal foods now contain soy and grains.
- To this picture of a nation of people – plus their pets – in need of medications, enter now the pharmaceutical industry, one of the most profitable industries on the face of the earth.
- With the agrochemical corporations forming partnerships with the pharmaceutical corporations, and pharmaceutical corporations now somehow openly partnered with the government, itself, (“Homeland Health”), a large and unhealthy picture begins to take shape. It is a picture we should look at very carefully, because it represents a growing corporate entity that is powerful but without conscience. It is this insatiable entity that is deciding for us what we shall eat and drink, how we will be medicated with or without our consent, and it now even appears to be venturing on, unchecked, into spiritual realms, wherein its gods of choice have been chosen.
- Immediately following the parroted endorsements mirrored by the two fluoride promoters – the ADA and the ADA – the following statements are then made, based in part on an article found in the Journal of the American Dental Association: “Fluoride works primarily via topical mechanisms to inhibit demineralization, to enhance remineralization, and to inhibit bacteria associated with tooth decay.”
- A statement suggesting the exact opposite of the above claim that fluoride works “to enhance remineralization,” can be found on Chapter 3, Page 54 of the Surgeon General’s 2004 study on bone problems in the United States, (Table 3-3, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research). We find here, in the Surgeon General’s study, that fluoride has been placed into a well-deserved category reserved for substances that are known to cause “Direct impairment of mineralization.”
- More importantly, however, is the statement that fluoride works “primarily via topical mechanisms.”
- “Topical,” means applying something to the surface.
- If this is the mechanism by which fluoride primarily works, then where is the prudence, the soundness of judgment, the practical intelligence of putting this HAZMAT toxic waste into our drinking water under the false and tired claim that it is good for us – and worse, telling us that it is good for our children?
- It is not natural or normal for an entire nation of people – and their pets – to be suffering to such an extent that the United States is now requiring the largest amount of pharmaceuticals on Earth in order to treat its symptoms on a daily basis.
- Happiness, joy, compassion and well-being are normal states of existence for the human being.
- Unfortunately, our normalcy has been traded in for anxiety, depression and the long list of warning signs now plaguing this country as our bodies and our minds have become “optimally fluoridated.”
- It is also not normal for an entire nation of children to be suffering from heartburn and gastrointestinal disorders. Yet, according to a 2002 report by Reuters, the number of drugs used to treat heartburn and other gastrointestinal disorders in children alone has “increased by 660 percent over the past five years.” Small stomachs are not meant to be absorbing hydrofluoric acid.
- While some hopeful studies have suggested that perhaps fluoride might be of some use in the treatment of osteoporosis (surely it must be useful for something other than making bombs, rat poison, insecticides, nerve gas and nuclear reaction), other studies have found that the bone produced by fluoride “has an abnormal texture and is less mineralized and relatively less strong.” Reports have found, “An increased fracture incidence was observed.” A Dutch study also states, “Fluoride often causes upper gastrointestinal complaints and a lower extremity pain syndrome, which is caused by stress fractures.”
- In one study in the Archives of Internal Medicine, Vol. 164: 1525-1530, No. 14, July 26, 2004, “National Trends in Osteoporosis Visits.1988-2003,” the authors discovered that, “The number of physician visits for osteoporosis increased 4-fold between 1994 (1.3 million visits) and 2003 (6.3 million visits), whereas it had remained stable in prior years.”
- Now, with Americans thoroughly riddled with fluoride due to a sixty-year-old medical experiment that never produced its promised results – now, with most of the entire nation currently suffering from gastrointestinal complaints, mood and sleep disturbances, bizarre aches and pains, elevated blood pressure, bone density problems, cancers, heart problems, liver problems, kidney problems, dental problems, thyroid problems and obesity, attention is finally being paid to the cumulative effects of fluoridating the water supply.
- Because fluoride is foolishly added into drinking water rather than prescribed individually as are other medications that may cause severe allergic symptoms in some individuals, and may be contraindicated in many others, it should not come as too great a surprise to learn that the American food supply is also now riddled with fluoride. In fact, this inevitable development has been known for some time, and yet the corporate entities now partnered with, and masquerading as our government have blindly ignored this. Giving credence to the charge that they are without conscience, they have continued on in their efforts to “optimally fluoridate” 100% of America by every means possible. Fluoridating the current two-thirds of the nation is not enough to satisfy them. They want the whole country.
- The new National Fluoride Database lists the amounts of fluoride found in selected foods and beverages in micrograms per 100 grams. (One hundred grams is about 3.5 ounces – a few swallows. Most popular beverages come in 12-ounce containers.) Among the most concentrated sources of fluoride in this database is brewed tea, which is calculated at 381 mcg/100g, when brewed in the “South.” Other geographical oddities can also be observed because some areas of the US are more “optimally fluoridated” than others.
- While drinking a Pepsi in the West will only add 13 mcg of fluoride per 100g to one’s daily “Adequate Intake,” drinking a Pepsi in the South will add 45 mcg of fluoride/100g. Drinking a Coca-Cola in the West is calculated at 36 mcg of fluoride/100g, while having a Coke in the South will result in 57 mcg of fluoride/100g added to the human being. Drinking a Sprite in the West will add 29 mcg of fluoride/100g, while a Sprite down South will add 59 mcg of fluoride/100g. This is potentially troublesome because those living in hotter climates (i.e., the “South”), might normally be expected to consume more beverages, including the ever-popular beverage of the South – iced tea.
- Of the baby foods tested, all but two of the products were positive for fluoride contamination. The worst was “apple and cherry juice,” at 67 mcg/100g.
- All of the baked products, breakfast cereals and cereal grains and pastas were positive for fluoride contamination. Oddly, however, the majority of the testing that was done on this group – the starch group – took place back in the 1980s, indicating that fluoride contamination has been known, quietly acknowledged and studied since at least the 1980s. Nationwide fluoridation has increased overall since the 1980s, however, not decreased. This means that the rates of contamination in our foods are ostensibly much higher now.
- We need a database showing us the contamination rate of the starch group in the current century rather than what it was in the 1980s. This is especially important, since some poor souls are still attempting to follow the fraudulent Food Pyramid’s advice to consume “6 to 11” servings of starch daily.
- Of the bottled waters, Dannon’s “Fluoride to Go” was predictably among the highest, with fluoride at 78 mcg/100g. However, another unnamed, carbonated, fruit-flavored water topped even the “Fluoride to Go” with 105 mcg of fluoride in it. Other bottled waters ranged from 2 mcg up to 34, but calcium content was not included in this study. The calcium content would be of great importance because some of the spring waters contain generous amounts of calcium. According to statements found in this USDA report, calcium plays an important role in blocking the absorption of fluoride.
- For the most part, according to this Database, fresh fruits and vegetables contain the least amounts of fluoride. However, it appeared in this report that cooking the products resulted in greatly increased levels. For instance, “carrots, raw” contained only 3 mcg of fluoride versus “carrots, cooked” containing 47 mcg fluoride/100g. How or why this occurred was not explained in the report. It is not known, for instance, if the laboratory was using nonstick cookware that was also releasing fluoride into the foods during the heating process, or if it was the municipally fluoridated water that caused the increased fluoride content – or perhaps it might have been a combination of both. Cooking times were also not mentioned, and this is also of importance because lengthy cooking times with fluoridated water will result in more concentrated amounts of fluoride being left behind in the boiling water as the pure vapor or steam escapes.
- Perhaps the most important observation about the National Fluoride Database is what is missing from it.
- One cannot look only at our drinking water, our foods, our nonstick cookware, our inundation with pesticides and fertilizers, our ever-present plastics and our ever-present air pollution – and assume that we have covered all of the bases regarding our potential exposure to toxic levels of fluoride.
- One must also look at the growing number of fluorinated pharmaceutical products that have been widely prescribed, including, but certainly not limited to: Lariam, Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Crestor, Flonase, Lipitor, Luvox, Diflucan, Lexapro, Paxil, Lescol, Prozac, Stelazine, Haldol, Levaquin (levofloxacin), Celexa, Celebrex, Prevacid, Zagam, Tequin, Halfan, Propulsid, Advair Diskus, Flovent, Baycol, Avelox, Redux, Trovan, Casodex and so on. Some of the above named pharmaceuticals have already been removed from the market due to side effects.
- According to a recently released study showing data gathered by the government on trends and healthcare in the US, 44 percent of Americans take prescription drugs, and 17 percent of the population takes three or more prescription drugs. Between the study range of 1994-96 and 2000-02, the number of doctor’s visits by school-aged children requiring antidepressants rose from 1.1 million to 3.1 million. It would be particularly helpful for the physicians and patients to know the amounts of fluoride contained in their medications, as well as the “bioavailability” of the fluoride. Bioavailability would indicate the amount, rate, extent and degree to which the drug or its metabolite actually reaches the circulatory system.
- In looking at fluoroquinolones, for instance, a group of fluorinated antibiotics, information appears that warrants further study and further questions.
- The chemical name of the fluoroquinolone known as levofloxacin is: “(-)-(S)-9-fluoro-2 ,3-dihydro-3-methyl-10-(4-methyl-1-piperazinyl) -7-oxo-7H-pyrido[1,2,3-de]-1, 4-benzoxazine-6-carboxylic acid hemihydrate.” Its empirical formula is C18 H20 FN3 O4 1/2 H2O. Its molecular weight is 370.38. The atomic weight of fluorine (F) is approximately 19. A 750 mg dose of the above was looked at for the purpose of finding out how much F would be contained in a high dose.
- According to professionals, the formula for determining this would be:
- 19/370.38 = 0.0512986 X 750 = 38.47.
- This means there are 38.47 mg of F in one 750 mg dose of levofloxacin. The question that must then be asked is: what is the bioavailability of all that F? Is it safely bound so that it cannot be metabolized into free F ions in the body?
- Another of the fluoroquinolones is ciprofloxacin. It is “1-cyclopropyl-6-fluoro-1, 4-dihydro-4-oxo-7-(1-piperazinyl)-3-quinolinecarboxylic acid.” Its molecular weight is 331.4. Its empirical formula is C17 H18 FN3 O3. Again, a 750 mg dose was looked at to see the amount of F it contained.
- Therefore, 19/331.4 = 0.0573325 X 750 = 42.99.
- Even the fluoride promoters have decided that our “Tolerable Upper Intake Level” of F should be capped-off at 10 mg a day if we are over eight years of age. The PDR takes a slightly different view, and specifically states, “Intakes of fluoride of higher than 4 milligrams daily for adult males and 3 milligrams daily for adult females are not recommended.”
- It would appear, therefore, that a dose of F nearing 43 mg might be something worthy of notice. It is certainly a dose in which we, the potential recipients, are deserving of answers. Again, the first question that must be asked pertains to the bioavailability of F. Have actual tests been done to see what the levels of F are in the blood or urine after ingestion of ciprofloxacin?
- It appears that one such study was actually done in 1995 by the Department of Pediatrics at All India Institute of Medical Sciences. What they found was, “After the first dose of ciprofloxacin (10 mg/kg), serum fluoride levels increased at 12 h in 15 of 19 (79%) patients; 24-h urinary fluoride excretion was higher on day 7 compared with basal values in 16 of 18 (88.9%) patients.” They concluded their study stating there is a need for further studies to evaluate the tissue accumulation of fluoride and its potential to cause toxic effects.”
- According to Michael Connett of the Fluoride Action Network (FAN), “The findings of this study heighten the importance of testing other fluorinated drugs to see if they, too, could increase the body-burden of F in a similar manner.”
- While studies of carefully measured doses of medications might show us how much F we can expect to receive from them, finding the dose we can expect to ingest via mass-medicated drinking water is next to impossible to determine at this time.
- We might know that a person taking ciprofloxacin can expect to have an elevation of F in their systems. Before even sitting down to a typical American breakfast of starch, sugar and fluoride, however, the overall intake of the day’s fluoride quickly becomes utterly impossible to determine for anyone who dares to start the day off with an “optimally fluoridated” shower or bath.
- Although it has been known since 1932 that people with overactive thyroids could be effectively treated by bathing in water containing a fluoride compound, it is still not clearly known – or apparently even of concern – how much of the fluoride from municipal waters we are absorbing via our skin and inhalation while showering and bathing. In addition, people suffering from diabetes also suffer from excessive thirst. The amount of water actually ingested that has been “optimally fluoridated” by a toxic waste never approved by the FDA, is unknown.
- Upon reaching this point in this paper that is focused on fluoride and its associated toxicities, we have covered not only the known toxic effects of fluoride, but we have also covered nine of the principles contained within the Nuremberg Code of medical ethics. The paragraph below pertains to the tenth and final principle of medical ethics.
- Those administering the fluoride to the public in the United States of America are not medical or scientific experts, and many of them do not even know what the “optimum dose” is. A two-year study published in 2001 examined the knowledge level of operators controlling both small and large water plants. The two-year study found that only 64 percent of plant operators knew the correct fluoride concentration to be added for their plant. In small plants, however, “Only one-fourth of operators were able to maintain the fluoride concentration to within 0.1 mg/L of the optimal concentration.”
- There are ten principles contained in the Nuremberg Code of medical ethics. The fluoridation of America’s water is in violation of all ten.
- The USDA’s National Fluoride Databank gives us clear evidence now showing us that we have contamination of fluoride on a national level. Immediate countermeasures should be taken in all communities that are adding to this contamination problem. An immediate moratorium should be responsibly announced banning the deliberate addition of further fluoride wastes to our drinking water.
- Fluoridation has been an uncorrected mistake for almost sixty years. An uncorrected mistake of this magnitude is better described as a national disgrace.
- The Nuremberg Code
- Permissible Medical Experiments
- 1. The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential.
- This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, over-reaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision. This latter element requires that before the acceptance of an affirmative decision by the experimental subject there should be made known to him the nature, duration, and purpose of the experiment; the method and means by which it is to be conducted; all inconveniences and hazards reasonably to be expected; and the effects upon his health or person which may possibly come from his participation in the experiment.
- The duty and responsibility for ascertaining the quality of the consent rests upon each individual who initiates, directs or engages in the experiment. It is a personal duty and responsibility which may not be delegated to another with impunity.
- 2. The experiment should be such as to yield fruitful results for the good of society, unprocurable by other methods or means of study, and not random and unnecessary in nature.
- 3. The experiment should be so designed and based on the results of animal experimentation and a knowledge of the natural history of the disease or other problem under study that the anticipated results will justify the performance of the experiment.
- 4. The experiment should be so conducted as to avoid all unnecessary physical and mental suffering and injury.
- 5. No experiment should be conducted where there is an a priori reason to believe that death or disabling injury will occur; except, perhaps, in those experiments where the experimental physicians also serve as subjects.
- 6. The degree of risk to be taken should never exceed that determined by the humanitarian importance of the problem to be solved by the experiment.
- 7. Proper preparations should be made and adequate facilities provided to protect the experimental subject against even remote possibilities of injury, disability, or death.
- 8. The experiment should be conducted only by scientifically qualified persons. The highest degree of skill and care should be required through all stages of the experiment of those who conduct or engage in the experiment.
- 9. During the course of the experiment the human subject should be at liberty to bring the experiment to an end if he has reached the physical or mental state where continuation of the experiment seems to him to be impossible.
- 10. During the course of the experiment the scientist in charge must be prepared to terminate the experiment at any stage, if he has probable cause to believe, in the exercise of the good faith, superior skill and careful judgment required of him that a continuation of the experiment is likely to result in injury, disability, or death to the experimental subject.
- “Trials of War Criminals before the Nuremberg Military Tribunals under Control Council Law No. 10, Vol. 2, pp. 181-182.. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1949.”
- * * * * * * * * *
- Mary Sparrowdancer is an investigative journalist, a spiritual seeker of the truth, and is the author of “The Love Song of the Universe,” published in 2001 by Hampton Roads. Her ongoing studies have included bacteriology, microscopic analysis, hematology, electroencephalography, ornithology, veterinary studies pertaining to wild animals and biblical translations from Latin, Hebrew and Greek. She was a wildlife rehabilitator for a number of years, during which she cared for over 20,000 wild birds and animals, including endangered species. She and her two children reside in Tallahassee, Fl(u)orida.
- Special Thanks
- I wish to thank the following people for their time and patient assistance:
- Valerie Guernsey, D.O., psychiatrist specializing in adolescent behavior; Luise Light, M.S., EdD, nutrition expert recruited by the USDA to create the Food Pyramid; Michael Connett of the Fluoride Action Network, an international coalition working to broaden public awareness on fluoride’s impact on human health and the environment; Dr. J. William Hirzy and Dr. James Murphy of the EPA NETU 280 headquarters professional employees union, who along with many other government professionals are completely opposed to fluoridation; Arthur Evangelista, former investigator for the FDA and head of the Public Health and Medical Fraud Research Cooperative, dedicated to accurate public health education and exposing corporate and regulatory malfeasance or corruption; Mary Emerick, DVM who took time to alert me to hypothyroidism in dogs and cats in the fluoridated area of her clinic; Diane Heather Phillips, MB, BS, BSc for her kind help pertaining to F; Wade Frazier, whose educational writings are a must-read, and can be seen here, http://www.ahealedplanet.net/home.htm; and to “CJ,” who first alerted me to the fluoride problem.
- * * * * * * * * *
- REFERENCED and CITED WORKS, and SUGGESTED LINKS and READING
- Fluoride Action Network –
- Parents of Fluoride-Poisoned Children –
- Journal, International Society for Fluoride Research –
- USDA National Fluoride Data Base of Selected Beverages and Foods. October, 2004. (11/2004)
- ADA, Dental fluorosis “purely cosmetic,” ADA Statement on Enamel (Dental) Fluorosis, 1/2004. (11/2004)
- “Bread, ce real, rice and pasta group: 6-11 servings,” undated instructions from Food Pyramid, in article titled, “Take the First Step to Eating Right” as found on the American Dietetic Association’s website. (11/13/2004)
- “The Battle of Darkness and Light,” by Mary Sparrowdancer. A fluoride expose that is a permanent feature on the front page pf the website of Jeff Rense. 12/2003. (11/2004)
- ADA, 2003 Community Fluoridation Awards, “Fifty Year Awards.” 5/2004. (11/2004)
- The Cincinnati Enquirer; Solvig, Erica. “Special Report: Cincinnati’s Dental Crisis.” Oct. 2002. (11/2004)
- CDC, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), “Populations Receiving Optimally Fluoridated Public Drinking Water – United States, 2000.” Feb. 2002. (11/2004)
- CDC, Kentucky. Heart Disease. (11/2004)
- CDC, “The Oral Health of Older Americans,”
- March, 2001. (11/2004)
- CDC, “Retention of Natural Teeth,” 2002. Kentucky 42% edentulous. (11/2004)
- Alberg,et al. “NSAID/fluoride periodontal compositions and methods,” US Patent and Trademark Office, 5,807,541. Sept. 1998, filed April 1996. (11/2004)
- HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=2&f=G&l=50&d=PAL L&p=
- Merck Medical Manual, NSAID, aspirin. (12/2004)
- “Toxicity, Fluoride,” Geofrey Nochimson, M.D., August 2004. (12/2004)
- FDA: “‘An Aspirin A Day’ – Just Another Cliché?” FDA Consumer. 1999. (12/2004)
- Bone Health and Osteoporosis, Report of the Surgeon General, Chapter 3, Diseases of the Bone, 2004. (11/ 2004)
- “Kids Very Hot Market For Prescription Drugs,” Franklin Lakes, NJ, Reuters, 09/19/2002. (11/2004).
- Luke, Jennifer, “Fluoride deposition in the aged human pineal gland,” “Caries Research,” March 2001, (11/2004)
- Lips, P. “Fluoride in Osteoporosis: still an experimental and controversial treatment.” August, 1998. (11/2004)
- Search drug names, molecular weights, chemical names and empirical formulas:
- http://www.healthscout.com/rxdetail/448/33/1/main.html (11/2004)
- PDR: Fluoride. (11/2004)
- http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/flu_0109.s html
- National Conference of State Legislatures. “Who Knows.” Interview with Representative Glenn Donnelson of Utah. (11/2004).
- Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, “Safety of ciprofloxacin therapy in children.” 1995. (12/2004)
- National Conference of State Legislatures. “Investigation of the Possible Associations between Fluorosis, Fluoride Exposure, and Childhood Behavior Problems.” “Fluoridation Knowledge Level of Water Plant Operators.” (12/2004)
- Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans. (44 Percent taking prescription drugs.) (12/2004)
- Journal of Public Health Dent., Spring 2001. NCBI, PubMed. “Fluoridation Knowledge Level of Water Plant Operators.” (12/2004). Only one quarter could maintain proper levels.
- Nuremberg Code of medical ethics. “1. Voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential.” (11/2004). Step-by-step explanation.
The “Food Safety” Saga: Our Job Is Just Beginning
January 4, 2011
The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act had more twists and turns than a big-city sewer system. Unexpected passage of the legislation at the very end of the lame duck Congress does not bring the story to a close. The fight goes on.
Regulations will need to be developed, which the FDA will try to do out of sight, but which we will monitor closely. The FDA will need funding to do the work, which means more legislation. And there may be other legislative opportunities to help pull back this seeming victory for agribusiness, factory faming, and its allies in Washington.
We have to keep educating Capitol Hill about the dangers of CAFOs, the main source of food contamination, and about the benefits—both to our health and our economy—of small farmers and especially local organic farmers. We need, in short, to keep the government from destroying what’s best about agriculture in this country. Big Food may have won this round, but they have most certainly not won the war.
Before we turn to the future, it’s also worth reviewing the story of what actually happened with this legislation. There has been a great deal of confusion about what took place, and it’s important to set the record straight. We also need to remember that natural health and family farming won some concessions along the way, concessions that kept this legislation from being far, far worse than it is. All of these concessions were won by a broad coalition of tireless health freedom advocates, while some of them-especially in the areas of potential CODEX regulation and supplements-were won specifically by ANH-USA, and we’re proud of those accomplishments. This is more proof that when we all work together, we can move mountains.
Here’s the full timeline:
March 2009: Senate introduces FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S. 510). The bill languishes in committee for nine months, then is placed on the Senate’s legislative calendar.
June 2009: House introduces Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009, or FSEA (H.R. 2749). Bill was designed to completely revamp the FDA and grant expansive authority with no oversight and contained provisions of significant concern to small farms (especially organic farms), small food producers, and supplement makers, including sharply increased criminal and civil penalties for violations of FDA regulations—up to ten years in jail and fines of up to $100,000 for individuals and $7.5 million for corporations, regardless of their size—just for making completely true statements about a food or supplement or referring to peer-reviewed science without prior FDA permission.
The bill was put on a fast track, and ANH-USA sprang into action. We placed a full-page ad in Roll Call, the Capitol Hill newspaper, calling on Congress to amend the bill. We also printed up copies of the ad, and had them hand-delivered to each congressional office. Our members deluged Congress with messages and phone calls. Unfortunately, the House passed the bill by a vote of 283 to 142.
November 2009: The original language of the Senate bill appeared to commit the US to the concept of harmonization of our food and supplement safety laws with a global standard, the Codex Alimentarius. The global standard is very likely to reflect European standards, which are extremely hostile to dietary supplements. ANH-USA was able to get the bill amended so that it no longer requires the development of a plan to harmonize with Codex; now the bill calls for a plan “on whether and how” to harmonize.
April 2010: Still concerned that the inclusion of Codex language in the bill could be used to support future US harmonization with Codex standards on dietary supplements, ANH-USA succeeds in getting new language that specifically exempted dietary supplements from US harmonization with Codex. In addition, while we did not work on this aspect of the issue ourselves, we were very pleased to see that supplements were also exempted from the “hazard analysis and risk-based preventive controls” section of the bill.
September 2010: Noting that the Senate’s version of the bill didn’t have the extra-harsh penalties of the House bill, Sen. Leahy introduced a new bill, the Food Safety Accountability Act, or FSEA (S. 3767), which used language similar to that found in the House bill. Even worse, the bill would not necessarily hold accountable a company that tainted a product, even on purpose, if this type of adulteration occurred before the product was sold by a distributor. So much for “accountability.”
Once again, ANH-USA and its allies acted quickly and mounted a protest, and succeeded in getting the Leahy bill amended so that it would no longer be possible to use the bill’s language to send a supplement producer to jail for ten years just for citing legitimate science.
November 2010: One of the Senate bill’s big sticking points was how it would affect small farmers and food producers. Some small-farm and organic food advocates warned that the legislation would destroy their industry under a mountain of paperwork. Working with the natural health community, ANH-USA succeeded in winning inclusion of an amendment from Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT), which exempts from some of the bill’s provisions any producers with less than $500,000 a year in sales who sell most of their food locally.
Still concerned about the language in the Leahy bill, we kept up the pressure, and thanks to all the phone calls, letters, and email messages that you sent to your senators, we were told that the FSEA language would be kept out of S. 510 entirely.
In addition, the House agreed that if the Senate’s bill passed, the House would accept the Senate’s version in place of its own. The House bill was far, far worse, and contained the ten-year jail terms—so this meant that ten-year jail terms should not be in a final Food Safety bill.
On November 30, the Senate bill passed 73 to 25, and sent it on to the House for approval.
December 1: The House rejects the Senate bill because it contains a revenue-raising (i.e., taxing) provision. The Constitution requires all revenue-raising provisions to arise from the House.
December 10: House passes a Continuing Resolution, which is supposed to provide temporary, stopgap funding for the government while budget bills are worked out. But this CR included the language of the Senate food safety bill. The CR is sent to the Senate for approval.
December 14: Sen. Inouye attempts to get an omnibus spending bill substituted for the CR. While we were told originally that the food safety language would not be part of the omnibus bill, it appeared that a deal was struck to include food safety.
December 17: A number of senators, mainly Republicans, decide to support neither the omnibus bill, which contained a lot of “pork” (funding for local projects with little or no national significance) nor the CR from the House, but instead wanted a one-page CR that would keep the government open for the next two months. This left the food safety bill once again out in the cold.
December 19: At 10 p.m. on a Sunday night, in one of the most underhanded legislative maneuvers we’ve ever seen, senators took an old House bill that had been languishing on the legislative calendar for a year and a half, removed all of its text and completely substituted the text of S. 510, then changed the title. What had been the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act was now the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act with a new number, H.R. 2751. It was identical in every way to the old S. 510, except that this was now technically a House bill, which got over the earlier constitutionality issue. This was agreed to in the Senate by unanimous consent, and the bill was sent back to the House.
Note that twenty-five senators who had previously voted against the bill were part of the unanimous consent agreement. Even one of them could have denied unanimous consent, in which case the bill would most likely have died. These senators were also participating in a legislative trick that made a mockery of the Constitution.
December 21: After less than an hour of debate, the bill passed in the House, 215 to 144. This included Yes votes from legislators who had been voted out of office in November, but who were making one last use of the “lame duck” session—something the 20th Amendment to the Constitution was trying to prevent when it was originally enacted. Seventy-four members of the House had already left for the winter break and did not vote.
Henry Waxman, still chair of Commerce Committee during the lame duck session of Congress and an arch foe of natural health and health freedom, famously said that nothing is ever settled for good in Washington. We can’t help but agree with him when it comes to the botched Food Safety Act.
By Barbara H. Peterson
Just when we thought that buying “Organic” was safe, we run headlong into the deliberate poisoning of our organic food supply by the FDA in collusion with none other than the folks who brought us Aspartame. NutraSweet, a former Monsanto asset, has developed a new and improved version of this neurotoxin called Neotame.
Neotame has similar structure to aspartame — except that, from it’s structure, appears to be even more toxic than aspartame. This potential increase in toxicity will make up for the fact that less will be used in diet drinks. Like aspartame, some of the concerns include gradual neurotoxic and immunotoxic damage from the combination of the formaldehyde metabolite (which is toxic at extremely low doses) and the excitotoxic amino acid. (Holisticmed.com)
But surely, this product would be labeled! NOT SO!!! For this little gem, no labeling required. And it is even included in USDA Certified Organic food.
The food labeling requirements required for aspartame have now been dropped for Neotame, and no one is clear why this was allowed to happen. Neotame has been ruled acceptable, and without being included on the list of ingredients, for:
- USDA Certified Organic food items.
- Certified Kosher products with the official letter k inside the circle on labels. (Janet Hull)
Let me make this perfectly clear. Neotame does not have to be included in ANY list of ingredients! So, if you buy processed food, whether USDA Certified Organic or not, that food most likely will contain Neotame because it is cost-effective, and since no one knows it is there, there is no public backlash similar to what is happening with Aspartame. A win/win situation!
But that’s not all. Just love chowing down on that delicious steak? Well, that cow most likely will have been fed with feed containing…..you guessed it…..Neotame! A product called “Sweetos,” which is actually composed of Neotame, is being substituted for molasses in animal feed.
“Sweetos is an economical substitute for molasses. Sweetos guarantees the masking of unpleasant tastes and odor and improves the palatability of feed. This product will be economical for farmers and manufacturers of cattle feed. It can also be used in mineral mixture,” said Craig Petray, CEO, The NutraSweet Company, a division of Searle, which is a part of Monsanto. (Bungalow Bill)
Why would we feed animals food that is so distasteful that we would have to mask the unpleasantness with an artificial sweetener? Most animals will not eat spoiled, rancid feed. They know by the smell that it is not good. Enter Sweetos (Neotame). Just cover up the unpleasant tastes and odors, and you can feed them anything you want to, courtesy of the oh, so considerate folks at Monsanto and company.
But of course, Monsanto is no longer associated with NutraSweet. In the time-honored tradition of covering its assets, Monsanto has a proven track record of spinning off controversial portions of its company that generate too much scrutiny, such as it did with the Solutia solution.
Says the Farm Industry News, “Monsanto, which has long resided in the crosshairs of public scorn and scrutiny, appears to have dodged at least one bullet by spinning off its industrial chemical business into a separate entity called Solutia a couple of years ago. Solutia has since been hammered by lawsuits regarding PCB contamination from what were once called Monsanto chemical plants in Alabama and other states” (Source Watch)
So what is the solution to this problem? Buy local organic food, know your local farmer, and don’t buy processed foods whether they are labeled “Organic” or not. This requires a drastic change in lifestyle that most will not want to make. For those who choose to ride the wheel of chance by succumbing to this genocidal adulteration of our food supply by those who stand to profit from our sickness and early demise, my only comment is….it is your choice. But for those of us who have decided to fight this battle one bite at a time by hitting these sociopaths in the pocketbook where it hurts……viva la revolucion!
(C) 2010 Barbara H. Peterson
UPDATE: For an in-depth look at this with source material from government sites, please go here: The USDA’s Organic Deception
By Morris A. Bealle
Essay by Hans Ruesch
In the 30’s, Morris A. Bealle, a former city editor of the old Washington Times and Herald, was running a county seat newspaper, in which the local power company bought a large advertisement every week. This account took quite a lot of worry off Bealle’ s shoulders when the bills came due. But according to Bealle’ s own story, one day the paper took up the cudgels for some of its readers that were being given poor service from the power company, and Morris Bealle received the dressing down of his life from the advertising agency which handled the power company’ s account. They told him that any more such ‘stepping out of line’ would result in the immediate cancellation not only of the advertising contract, but also of the gas company and the telephone company.
That’ s when Bealle’ s eyes were opened to the meaning of a ‘free press’, and he decided to get out of the newspaper business. He could afford to do that because he belonged to the landed gentry of Maryland, but not all newspaper editors are that lucky.
Bealle used his professional experience to do some deep digging into the freedom-of-the-press situation and came up with two shattering exposes – The Drug Story, and The House of Rockefeller. The fact that in spite of his familiarity with the editorial world and many important personal contacts he couldn’t get his revelations into print until he founded his own company, The Columbia Publishing House, Washington D.C., in 1949, was just a prime example of the silent but adamant censorship in force in ‘the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave’. Although The Drug Story is one of the most important books on health and politics ever to appear in the USA, it has never been admitted to a major bookstore nor reviewed by any establishment paper, and was sold exclusively by mail. Nevertheless, when we first got to read it, in the 1970s, it was already in its 33rd printing, under a different label – Biworld Publishers, Orem, Utah.
As Bealle pointed out, a business which makes 6% on its invested capital is considered a sound money maker. Sterling Drug, Inc., the main cog and largest holding company in the Rockefeller Drug Empire and its 68 subsidiaries, showed operating profits in 1961 of $23,463,719 after taxes, on net assets of $43,108,106 – a 54% profit. Squibb, another Rockefeller controlled company, in 1945 made not 6% but 576% on the actual value of its property.
That was during the luscious war years when the Army Surgeon General’s Office and the Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery were not only acting as promoters for the Drug Trust, but were actually forcing drug trust poisons into the blood streams of American soldiers, sailors and marines, to the tune of over 200 million ‘shots’. Is it any wonder, asked Bealle, that the Rockefellers, and their stooges in the Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. Public Health Service, the Federal Trade Commission, the Better Business Bureau, the Army Medical Corps, the Navy Bureau of Medicine, and thousands of health officers all over the country, should combine to put out of business all forms of therapy that discourage the use of drugs.
‘The last annual report of the Rockefeller Foundation’, reported Bealle, ‘itemizes the gifts [grants] it has made to colleges and public agencies in the past 44 years, and they total somewhat over half a billion dollars. These colleges, of course, teach their students all the drug lore the Rockefeller pharmaceutical houses want taught. Otherwise there would be no more gifts, just as there are no gifts to any of the 30 odd colleges in the United States that don’t use therapies based on drugs.
‘Harvard, with its well publicized medical school, has received $8,764,433 of Rockefeller’s Drug Trust money, Yale got $7 ,927,800, Johns Hopkins $10,418,531, Washington University in St. Louis $2,842,132, New York’s Columbia University $5,424,371, Cornell University $1,709,072, ete., etc.’
And while ‘giving away’ those huge sums to drug propagandizing colleges, the Rockefeller interests were growing to a world-wide web that no one could entirely explore. Already well over 30 years ago it was large enough for Bealle to demonstrate that the Rockefeller interests had created, built up and developed the most far reaching industrial empire ever conceived in the mind of man. Standard Oil was of course the foundation upon which all of the other Rockefeller industries have been built. The story of Old John D., as ruthless an industrial pirate as ever came down the pike, is well known, but is being today conveniently ignored. The keystone of this mammoth industrial empire was the Chase NationaI Bank, now renamed the Chase Manhattan Bank.
Not the least of its holdings are in the drug business. The Rockefellers own the largest drug manufacturing combine in the world, and use all of their other interests to bring pressure to increase the sale of drugs. The fact that most of the 12,000 separate drug items on the market are harmful is of no concern to the Drug Trust…
The Rockefeller Foundation was first set up in 1904 and called the General Education Fund. An organization called the Rockefeller Foundation, ostensibly to supplement the General Education Fund, was formed in 1910 and through long finagling and lots of Rockefeller money got the New York legislature to issue a charter on May 14, 1913.
It is therefore not surprising that the House of Rockefeller has had its own ‘nominees’ planted in all Federal agencies that have to do with health. So the stage was set for the ‘education’ of the American public, with a view to turning it into a population of drug and medico dependents, with the early help of the parents and the schools, then with direct advertising and, last but not least, the influence the advertising revenues had on the media makers.
A compilation of the magazine Advertising Age showed that as far back as 1948 the larger companies in America spent for advertising the sum total of $1,104,224,374, when the dollar was still worth a dollar and not half a zloty. Of this staggering sum the interlocking Rockefeller-Morgan interests (gone over entirely to Rockefeller after Morgan’ s death) controlled about 80 percent, and utilized it to manipulate public information on health and drug matters – then and even more recklessly now.
‘Even the most independent newspapers are dependent on their press associations for their national news,’ Bealle pointed out, ‘and there is no reason for a news editor to suspect that a story coming over the wires of the Associated Press, the United Press or the International News Service is censored when it concerns health matters. Yet this is what happens constantly.’
In fact in the ’50s the Drug Trust had one of its directors on the directorate of the Associated Press. He was no less than Arthur Hays Sulzberger, publisher of the New York Times and as such one of the most powerful Associated Press directors.
It was thus easy for the Rockefeller Trust to persuade the Associated Press Science Editor to adopt a policy which would not permit any medical news to clear that is not approved by the Drug Trust ‘expert’, and this censor is not going to approve any item that can in any way hurt the sale of drugs.
This accounts to this day for the many fake stories of serums and medical cures and just-around-the-corner breakthrough victories over cancer, AIDS, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, which go out brazenly over the wires to all daily newspapers in America and abroad.
Emanuel M. Josephson, M.D., whom the Drug Trust has been unable to intimidate despite many attempts, pointed out that the National Association of Science Writers was ‘persuaded’ to adopt as part of its code of ethics the following chestnut: ‘Science editors are incapable of judging the facts of phenomena involved in medical and scientific discovery. Therefore, they only report ‘discoveries’ approved by medical authorities, or those presented before a body of scientific peers.’
This explains why Bantam Books, America’s biggest publisher, made a colossal mistake in its initial enthusiasm and optimism sending review copies of SLAUGHTER OF THE INNOCENT to the 3,500 ‘science writers’ on its list, instead of addressing them to the literary book reviewers who are not subject to medical censorship. One single censor decreed NO and SLAUGHTER OF THE INNOCENT sank in silence.
Thus newspapers continue to be fed with propaganda about drugs and their alleged value, although according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1.5 million people landed in hospitals in 1978 because of medication side effects in the U.S. alone, and despite recurrent statements by intelligent and courageous medical men that most pharmaceutical items on sale are useless at best, but more often harmful or deadly in the long run.
The truth about cures without drugs is suppressed, unless it suits the purpose of the censor to garble it. Whether these cures are effected by Chiropractors, Naturopaths, Naprapaths, Osteopaths, Faith Healers, Spiritualists, Herbalists, Christian Scientists, or MDs who use the brains they have, you never read about it in the big newspapers.
To teach the Rockefeller drug ideology, it is necessary to teach that Nature didn’t know what she was doing when she made the human body. But statistics issued by the Children’s Bureau of the Federal Security Agency show that since the all-out drive of the Drug Trust for drugging, vaccinating and serumizing the human system, the health of the American nation has sharply declined, especially among children. Children are now given ‘shots’ for this and ‘shots’ for that, when the only safeguard known to science is a pure bloodstream, which can be obtained only with clean air and wholesome food. Meaning by natural and inexpensive means. Just what the Drug Trust most objects to.
When the FDA, whose officials have to be acceptable to Rockefeller Center before they are appointed, has to put an independent operator out of business, it goes all out to execute those orders. But the orders do not come directly from Standard Oil or a drug house director. As Morris Bealle pointed out, the American Medical Association (AMA) is the front for the Drug Trust, and furnishes the quack doctors to testify that even when they know nothing of the product involved, it is their considered opinion that it has no therapeutic value.
‘Financed by the taxpayers, these Drug Trust persecutions leave no stone unturned to destroy the victim. If he is a small operator, the resulting attorney’s fees and court costs put him out of business. In one case, a Dr. Adolphus Hohensee of Scranton, Pa., who had stated that vitamins (he used natural ones) were vital to good health, was taken to court for ‘misbranding’ his product. The American Medical Association furnished ten medicos who reversed all known medical theories by testifying that ‘vitamins are not necessary to the human body’. Confronted with government bulletins to the contrary, the medicos wiggled out of that one by declaring that these standard publications were outdated!’
In addition to the FDA, Bealle listed the following agencies having to do with ‘health’ – i.e., with the health of the Drug Trust to the detriment of the citizens – as being dependent on Rockefeller: U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Veterans Administration, Federal Trade Commission, Surgeon General of the Air Force, Army Surgeon General’ s Office, Navy Bureau of Medicine & Surgery, National Health Research Institute, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences.
The National Academy of Sciences in Washington is considered the all wise body which investigates everything under the sun, especially in the field of health, and gives to a palpitating public the last word in that science. To the important post at the head of this agency, the Drug Trust had one of their own appointed. He was none other than Alfred N. Richards, one of the directors and largest stockholders of Merck & Company, which was making huge profits from its drug traffic.
When Bealle revealed this fact, Richards resigned forthwith, and the Rockefellers appointed in his place the President of their own Rockefeller Institution, Detlev W. Bronk.
The medico drug cartel was summed up by J.W Hodge, M.D., of Niagara Falls, N.Y., in these words: ‘The medical monopoly or medical trust, euphemistically called the American Medical Association, is not merely the meanest monopoly ever organized, but the most arrogant, dangerous and despotic organization which ever managed a free people in this or any other age. Any and all methods of healing the sick by means of safe, simple and natural remedies are sure to be assailed and denounced by the arrogant leaders of the AMA doctors’ trust as fakes, frauds and humbugs Every practitioner of the healing art who does not ally himself with the medical trust is denounced as a ‘dangerous quack’ and impostor by the predatory trust doctors. Every sanitarium who attempts to restore the sick to a state of health by natural means without resort to the knife or poisonous drugs, disease imparting serums, deadly toxins or vaccines, is at once pounced upon by these medical tyrants and fanatics, bitterly denounced, vilified and persecuted to the fullest extent.’
The Lincoln Chiropractic College in Indianapolis requires 4,496 hours, the Palmer Institute Chiropractic in Davenport a minimum of 4,000 60 minute classroom hours, the University of Natural Healing Arts in Denver five years of 1,000 hours each to qualify for a degree. The National College of Naprapathy in Chicago requires 4,326 classroom hours for graduation. Yet the medico drug cartel spreads the propaganda that the practitioners of these three ‘heretic’ sciences are poorly trained or not trained at all – the real reason being that they cure their patients without the use of drugs. In 1958, one of those ‘ill trained’ doctors, Nicholas P. Grimaldi, who had just graduated from the Lincoln Chiropractic College, took the basic science examination of the Connecticut State Board along with 63 medics and osteopaths. He made the highest mark (91.6) ever made by a doctor taking the Connecticut State Board examination.
Rockefeller’ s various ‘educational’ activities had proved so profitable in the U S. that in 1927 the International Educational Board was launched, as Junior’ s own, personal charity, and endowed with $21,000,000 for a starter, to be lavished on foreign universities and politicos, with all the usual strings attached. This Board undertook to export the ‘new’ Rockefeller image as a benefactor of mankind, as well as his business practices. Nobody informed the beneficiaries that every penny the Rockefellers seemed to be throwing out the window would come back, bearing substantial interest,
through the front door.
Rockefeller had always had a particular interest in China, where Standard Oil was almost the sole supplier of kerosene and oil ‘for the lamps of China’. So he put up money to establish the China Medical Board and to build the Peking Union Medical College, playing the role of the Great White Father who has come to dispense knowledge on his lowly children. The Rockefeller Foundation invested up to $45,000,000 into ‘westernizing’ (read corrupting) Chinese medicine.
Medical colleges were instructed that if they wished to benefit from the Rockefeller largesse they had better convince 500 million Chinese to throw into the ashcan the safe and useful but inexpensive herbal remedies of their barefoot doctors, which had withstood the test of centuries, in favor of the expensive carcinogenic and teratogenic ‘miracle’ drugs Made in USA, which had to be replaced constantly with new ones, when the fatal side effects could no longer be concealed; and if they couldn’t ‘demonstrate’ through large-scale animal experiments the effectiveness of their ancient acupuncture, this could not be recognized as having any ‘scientific value’. Its millenarian effectiveness proven on human beings was of no concern to the Western wizards.
But when the Communists came to power in China and it was no longer possible to trade, the Rockefellers suddenly lost interest in the health of the Chinese people and shifted their attention increasingly to Japan, India and Latin America.
‘No candid study of his career can lead to other conclusion than that he is victim of perhaps the ugliest of all passions, that for money, money as an end. It is not a pleasant picture…. this money maniac secretly, patiently, eternally plotting how he may add to his wealth…. He has turned commerce to war, and honey-combed it with cruel and corrupt practices…. And he calls his great organization a benefaction, and points to his church-going and charities as proof of his righteousness. This is supreme wrong-doing cloaked by religion. There is but one name for it – hypocrisy. ‘
This was the description Ida Tarbell made of John D. Rockefeller in her ‘History of the Standard Oil Company’, serialized in 1905 in the widely circulated McClure’s Magazine. And that was several years before the ‘Ludlow Massacre’, so JDR was as yet far from having reached the apex of his disrepute. But after World War II it would have been hard to read, in America or abroad, a single criticism of JDR, nor of Junior, who had followed in his father’ s footsteps, nor of Junior’ s four sons who all endeavored to emulate their illustrious forbears. Today’s various encyclopedias extant in public libraries of the Western world have nothing but praise for the Family. How was this achieved?
Ironically, the two apparently most NEGATIVE events in the career of JDR brought about a huge POSITIVE change in his favor, to a degree that he himself could not foresee. To wit:
In the year when according to the current Encyclopedia Britanica (long become a Rockefeller property and transferred from Oxford to Chicago), Rockefeller had ‘retired from active business’, namely in 1911, he had been convicted by a U.S. court of illegal practices and ordered to dissolve the Standard Oil Trust, which comprised 40 corporations. This imposed dissolution was to provide his Empire with added might, to a degree that was unprecedented in the history of modem business. Until then, the Trust had existed for all to see – an exposed target. After that, it went underground,
and thereby its power was cloaked in security, and could keep expanding unseen and therefore unopposed.
The Ludlow Massacre
The second apparently negative experience was a certain 1914 event that persuaded JDR, until then utterly contemptuous of public opinion, to gloss over his own image.
The United Mine Workers had asked for higher wages and better living conditions for the miners of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company, one of the many Rockefeller owned companies.
The miners – mostly immigrants from Europe’ s poorest countries – lived in shacks provided by the company at exorbitant rent. Their low wages ($1.68 a day) were paid in script redeemable only at company stores charging high prices. The churches they attended were the pastorates of company-hired ministers; their children were taught in company-controlled schools; the company libraries excluded books that the Bible-thumping Rockefellers deemed ‘subversive’, such as ‘Darwin’s Origin of the Species.’ The company maintained a force of detectives, mine guards, and spies whose job it was to keep the camp quarantined from the danger of unionization.
When the miners struck, JDR, Jr., then officially in command of the company, and his father’ s hatchet man, the Baptist Reverend Frederick T. Gates, who was a director of the Rockefeller Foundation, refused even to negotiate. They evicted the strikers from the company-owned shacks, hired a thousand strike-breakers from the Baldwin-Felts detective agency, and persuaded Governor Ammons to call out the National Guard to help break the strike.
Open warfare resulted. Guardsmen, miners, their women and children, who since their eviction were camping in tents, were ruthlessly killed, until the frightened Governor wired President Wilson for Federal Troops, who eventually crushed the strike, The New York Times, which then already could never be accused of being unfriendly to the Rockefeller interests, reported on April 21, 1914.
‘A 14 hour battle between striking coal miners and members of the Colorado National Guard in the Ludlow district today culminated in the killing of Louis Tikas, leader of the Greek strikers, and the destruction of the Ludlow tent colony by fire.’
And the following day.
‘Forty five dead (32 of them women and children), a score missing and more than a score wounded is the known result of the 14 hour battle which raged between state troops and coal miners in the Ludlow district, on the property of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company, the Rockefeller holding. The Ludlow is a mass of charred debris, and buried beneath it is a story of horror unparalleled in the history of industrial warfare. In the holes that had been dug for their protection against rifle fire, the women and children died like trapped rats as the flames swept over them. One pit uncovered this afternoon disclosed the bodies of ten children and two women.’
The worldwide revulsion that followed was such that JDR decided to hire the most talented press agent in the country, Ivy Lee, who got the tough assignment of whitewashing the tycoon’ s bloodied image.
When Lee learned that the newly organized Rockefeller Foundation had $100 million lying around for promotional purposes without knowing what to do with it, he came with a plan to donate large sums – none less than a million- to well known colleges, hospitals, churches and benevolent organizations. The plan was accepted. So were the millions. And they made headlines all over the world, for in the days of the gold standard and the five cent cigar there was a maxim in every newspaper office that a million dollars was always news.
That was the beginning of the cleverly worded medical reports on new ‘miracle’ drugs and ‘just-around-the-corner breakthroughs’ planted in the leading news offices and press associations that continue to this day, and the flighty public soon forgot, or forgave, the massacre of foreign immigrants for the dazzling display of generosity and philanthropy financed by the ballooning Rockefeller fortune and going out, with thunderous press fanfare, to various ‘worthy’ institutions.
In the following years, not only newsmen, but whole newspapers were bought, financed or founded with Rockefeller money. So Time Magazine, which Henry Luce started in 1923, had been taken over by J.P. Morgan when the magazine got into fInancial difficulties. When Morgan died and his financial empire crumbled, the House of Rockefeller wasted no time in taking over this lush editorial plum also, together with its sisters Fortune and Life, and built for them an expensive 14 story home of their own in Rockefeller Center – the Time & Life Building.
Rockefeller was also co-owner of Time’s ‘rival’ magazine, Newsweek, which had been established in the early days of the New Deal with money put up by Rockefeller, Vincent Astor, the Harrimann family and other members and allies of the House.
For all his innate cynicism, JDR must have been himself surprised to discover how easily the so-called intellectuals could be bought. Indeed, they turned out to be among his best investments.
By founding and lavishly endowing his Education Boards at home and abroad, Rockefeller won control not only of the governments and politicos but also of the intellectual and scientific community, starting with the Medical Power – the organization that forms those priests of the New Religion that
are the modern medicine men. No Pulitzer or Nobel or any similar prize endowed with money and prestige has ever been awarded to a declared foe of the Rockefeller system.
Henry Luce, officially founder and editor of Time Magazine, but constantly dependent on House advertising, also distinguished himself in his adulation of his sponsors. JDR’s son had been responsible for the Ludlow massacre, and an obedient partner in his father’ s most unsavory actions. Nonetheless, in 1956 Henry Luce put Junior on the cover of Time, and the feature story, soberly titled ‘The Good Man’, included hyperbole like this:
‘It is because John D. Rockefeller Junior’s is a life of constructive social giving that he ranks as an authentic American hero, just as certainly as any general who ever won a victory for an American army or any statesman who triumphed in behalf of U.S. diplomacy.’
Clearly, Time’s editorial board wasn’t given the choice to change its tune even after the passing of Junior and Henry Luce, since it remained just as dependent on House of Rockefeller advertising. Thus, when in 1979 one of Junior’s sons, Nelson A. Rockefeller died – who had been one of the loudest hawks in the Vietnam and other American wars, and was personally responsible for the massacre of prisoners and hostages at Attica prison – Time said of him in it obituary, without laughing:
‘He was driven by a mission to serve, improve and uplift his country.’
Perhaps it was all this that Prof. Peter Singer had in mind when telling the judges in Italy that the Rockefeller Foundation was a humanitarian enterprise bent on doing good works. One of their best works seems to be sponsoring Prof. Peter Singer, the world’s greatest animal friend and protector who claims that vivisection is indispensable for medical progress and for more than 20 years refuses to mention that legions of medical doctors are of the opposite view.
Another interesting revelation in the article of Time was that many years ago already Singer ‘was pleasantly surprised when Britanica approached him to distill in about 30,000 words the discipline that is, at its heart, the systematic study of what we ought to do.’ So now we touch the subject of sponsorship and patronage. They don’ t always mean immediate cash but, more important, long-term profits.
Many decades ago the Encyclopedia Britannica moved from Oxford to Chicago because Rockefeller had bought it to add much needed luster to the University of Chicago and its medical school, the first one he had founded. Peter Singer, ‘the world’s greatest animal defender’ who keeps a door permanently open to vivisection and the lucrative medical swindle, gets millions of dollars free publicity thanks to the worldwide engagement of the Rockefeller Foundation and the media makers who are in no position to oppose it.
From the article in Time we also learned that Singer’ s mother had been a medical doctor in the old country, which could mean that little Peter started assimilating all the Rockefeller superstition on vivisection with his mother’s milk.
Taken from the CIVIS Foundation Report number 15, Fall-Winter 1993
CIVIS: POB 152, Via Motta 51-CH 6900, Massagno/Lugano, Switzerland
Originally web posted at: http://www.eurosolve.com/charity/bava/story.htm
Big Pharma Scores Big Win: Medicinal Herbs Will Disappear in EU
It’s almost a done deal. We are about to see herbal preparations disappear, and the ability of herbalists to prescribe them will also be lost.
by Heidi Stevenson
Big Pharma has almost reached the finish line of its decades-long battle to wipe out all competition. The approach in the United States is a bit different, but it’s having the same devastating effect. The people have become nothing more than sinks for whatever swill Big Pharma and Agribusiness choose to send our way, and we have no option but to pay whatever rates they want.
Big Pharma and Agribusiness have almost completed their march to take over every aspect of health, from the food we eat to the way we care for ourselves when we’re ill. Have no doubt about it: this takeover will steal what health remains to us.
It Begins Next April Fools Day
In the nastiest April Fool’s Joke of all time, the European Directive on Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products (THMPD) was enacted back on 31 March 2004.(1) It laid down rules and regulations for the use of herbal products that had previously been freely traded.
This directive requires that all herbal preparations must be put through the same kind of procedure as pharmaceuticals. It makes no difference whether a herb has been in common use for thousands of years. The costs for this are far higher than most manufacturers, other than Big Pharma, can bear, with estimates ranging from £80,000 to £120,000 per herb, and with each herb of a compound having to be treated separately.
It matters not that a herb has been used safely and effectively for thousands of years. It will be treated as if it were a drug. Of course, herbs are far from that. They’re preparations made from biological sources. They aren’t necessarily purified, as that can change their nature and efficacy, just as it can in food. It’s a distortion of their nature and the nature of herbalism to treat them like drugs. That, of course, makes no difference in the Big Pharma-ruled edifice of the EU, which has enshrined corporatism in its constitution.
Dr. Robert Verkerk of the Alliance for Natural Health, International (ANH) describes the problem of requiring drug-like compliance on herbal preparations:
Getting a classical herbal medicine from a non-European traditional medicinal culture through the EU registration scheme is akin to putting a square peg into a round hole. The regulatory regime ignores and thus has not been adapted to the specific traditions. Such adaptation is required urgently if the directive is not to discriminate against non-European cultures and consequently violate human rights.(2)
To best understand how this can be happening, one needs to see that trade laws have been at the center of the moves to place all aspects of food and medicine under the control of Big Pharma and Agribusiness.
If you’ve followed what’s been happening in the United States regarding raw milk and the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) claims that foods magically become drugs when health claims are made, you may have noted that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has been part of the process.
Rather than treating food and traditional medicines as human rights issues, they have been treated as trade issues. That makes the desires of large corporations the focus of food and herbal law, rather than the needs and desires of people. It’s this twisting that has resulted in the FDA’s making outrageously absurd statements, such as claiming that Cheerios and walnuts quite literally become drugs simply because of health claims made for them.
The goal of it all is to make the world safe for the megacorporations to trade freely. The needs and health of the people simply are not a factor in their considerations.
How to Fight This Encroachment on Our Health and Welfare
It’s not a done-deal, at least, not quite. If you value your access to herbs, or if you care about access to vitamins and other supplements, please take action. Even if these issues seem meaningless to you, consider the people who do care. Should they be denied the right to the medical treatment and health maintenance of their choice?
The ANH has been active in fighting these encroachments. They are currently going to court in an attempt to stop the implementation of THMPD. We can hope that they’ll succeed, but recent history shows that no legal maneuver is likely to stop this juggernaut. We cannot afford to sit back and wait for the results of their efforts. We need to see their endeavor as part of a whole, one in which each of us plays a role.
It’s up to us—each and every one of us—to take action. If you live in Europe, please, send a letter or message to your Member of European Parliament. Go to this page to find out who is your MEP and the contact information. Then, send a letter that states, in no uncertain terms, that you strongly support the ANH’s actions in trying to suspend the implementation of THMPD and that you hope they will also take a stand in support of the people’s right to choose herbal treatments.
If you find it difficult to write such a letter, click here for a sample (in the universal .rtf format) suggested by ANH. Feel free to use it.
Try to imagine facing your children or grandchildren when they ask why you didn’t. How will you tell them that you really weren’t that interested in their welfare? How will you tell them that it was more important to watch the latest fake reality show on television than to take the time to write a simple letter?
It is only by actively protesting that this travesty against our welfare can be stopped. If we sit back in apathy, then it will happen. Our right to protect our health and that of our children is hanging in the balance. If you care for your child’s or grandchild’s welfare, then you must act. Speak out, for now is the moment of truth. You can sit back and do nothing, or you can speak out.
And then, once you have, talk to everyone you know. Tell them that it’s time to act. There truly is no time to waste.
CRA petitions FDA for high fructose corn syrup name change
By Caroline Scott-Thomas, 14-Sep-2010
The Corn Refiners Association has petitioned the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) asking it to allow the term ‘corn sugar’ as an alternative label declaration for high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
HFCS has suffered from a spate of bad publicity in recent years, and food and beverage manufacturers have been increasingly switching it out of their products in preference for beet or cane sugar (sucrose).
The Corn Refiners Association (CRA) has said that the reason it filed a petition with the FDA was to be clear with consumers about what HFCS is: A sugar made from corn. The CRA – a trade association that represents the corn refining industry in the United States – has repeatedly stressed that HFCS is not high in fructose, even though that is what the name may suggest. In fact it contains proportions of fructose and glucose that are similar to sucrose.
President of the Corn Refiners Association Audrae Erickson told FoodNavigator-USA.com: “The words ‘high fructose corn syrup’ have caused confusion…This is all about consumer clarity on the ingredient label.”
She said that in much the same way that there is beet sugar and cane sugar, sugar from corn should be called ‘corn sugar’ in order to give it a name that is easily understood.
It is expected to take up to two years for the FDA to come to a decision on whether to approve the renaming.
The American Dietetic Association has also found that HFCS is “nutritionally equivalent to sucrose”, and that it is metabolized by the body in the same way as sucrose.
Erickson said: “We hope that the FDA will act positively on our petition in the interest of consumer clarity.”
This is not the first time that a name change has been sought for an ingredient that has been declining in popularity in an effort to simplify its image with consumers.
In November last year, Ajinomoto rebranded its aspartame ingredient ‘AminoSweet’, saying the time was right to “remind people that aspartame is made from two amino acids and brings absolutely nothing new to the diet, just sweetness without the calories”.
Vitamin D health warning for the children who shun the sun
Paranoia about sun exposure and indoor lifestyles are causing life-threatening health problems for children due to vitamin D deficiency, a new study claims.
By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
Published: 5:32PM BST 10 Sep 2010
Casualty departments are dealing with dozens of emergency cases where infants are having seizures as a direct result of not getting enough vitamin D, which is essential for healthy teeth and bones.
In one case, a baby suffered brain damage after a fit.
The study said the extreme cases are part of an escalating problem of a deficiency of the vitamin, which the body makes when exposed to sunlight.
The report in the London Journal of Primary Care blames indoor lifestyles and the use of high sun protection factor creams for a health issue unheard of a decade ago.
The findings have prompted experts to call for vitamin D pills to be made more widely available on the NHS, especially for pregnant women.
The study reveals the introduction of schemes offering mothers supplements has been slow. Some areas of London have no vitamin packs available and people are ignorant about the benefits of vitamin D, which is also found in oily fish, liver and eggs.
Colin Michie, a co-author of the study, said vitamin D deficiency was no longer a “poor” problem and the middle classes are just as vulnerable.
The consultant paediatrician, who works at Ealing Hospital and BMI Clementine Churchill, said GPs should be more alert to symptoms such as muscle aches and pains.
He told the Evening Standard: “This is a totally avoidable condition which is now a public health issue. It’s affecting middle-class children because they’re overprotecting with sunscreen and not going out as much.
SPF is also increasingly in cosmetics used by young women.
“The more dramatic cases tend to be in people who wear traditional clothing and so are covered up.”
However, he added, GPs also see a growing number of low-level cases in other groups.
Warnings over the links between sunburn and skin cancer have prompted some people to shun the sun
The actress Gwyneth Paltrow has revealed recently that she was diagnosed with very poor vitamin D levels after years of keeping her skin covered.
A special investigation is being launched into the extent of emergency admissions for patients with vitamin D deficiency.
The British Paediatric Surveillance Unit will gather data from hospitals from next year.
Mr Michie analysed the cases of 17 babies and infants treated at Ealing Hospital for a severe lack of vitamin D between 2006 and 2008. He found many experienced a delay in walking, a problem last common in Victorian times.
Cancer Research UK is considering changing it guidelines concerning sun exposure because of the problem.
Instead of advising people to stay out the midday sun completely, it may suggest that a few minutes exposure could be healthy.
Vitamin B tablets could slow and even halt the devastating march of Alzheimer’s Disease in the elderly, a breakthrough British study suggests.
By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
Published: 5:00AM BST 09 Sep 2010
The research showed that large doses of the supplement could halve the rate of brain shrinkage – a physical symptom associated memory loss and dementia in the elderly.
The effects were so dramatic that the scientists behind the work believe it could revolutionise the treatment of the disease.
Brain shrinkage or atrophy is a natural part of ageing but it is known to be accelerated in people with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) – a kind of memory loss and forgetfulness – and Alzheimer’s.
Scientists at the University of Oxford conducted a trial on 168 people and found that taking high doses of three vitamin B supplements every day reduced brain shrinkage associated with dementia by up to 53 per cent.
They said the results were so strong that it should open up a debate as to whether the tablets should be prescribed to everyone with MCI – half of whom develop Alzheimer’s disease.
MCI affects 16 per cent of people over 70 – 1.5 million people in the UK.
Professor David Smith, a pharmacologist who co-authored the study, said the results were “immensely promising”.
“It is a very simple solution: you give someone some vitamins and you protect the brain,” he said.
“This is the first trial that has shown a glimmer of hope and success. It is the first one of its kind that has worked so clearly. I think it will change the whole direction of Alzheimer’s research.
“500 people a day develop Alzheimer’s in the UK. If we can cut that down by just 10 per cent it will have a big impact. I personally believe that it will.”
The research, published in the journal Public Library of Science ONE, is controversial because it defies current scientific dogma about the way to tackle Alzheimer’s.
It suggests simply taking vitamins can achieve results that have so far evaded pharmaceutical companies, despite millions of pounds being spent on experimental dementia drugs.
The brain naturally shrinks in volume as we get older and when you get to 60, it is shrinking by as much as half a per cent a year.
But in those with MCI it is accelerates to one per cent a year and in Alzheimer’s Disease by 2.5 per cent a year. This is accompanied by severe memory problems, slower thoughts and confusion.
Current research centres around tackling so-called tangles in the brain which are thought to “silt up” the brain’s thought processes.
The team at the University of Oxford set out in a new direction – targeting the abnormal physical shrinkage of the brain.
They knew that a substance called homocysteine, an amino acid found in the blood, was associated with this shrinkage.
Elderly people with higher levels of homocysteine, had higher levels of brain shrinkage.
They also knew that vitamin B regulated levels of homocysteine and that the more vitamin B in the blood, the lower the levels of the harmful amino acid.
The researchers used an advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technique to study brain shrinkage in 168 volunteers over the age of 70 with diagnosed MCI.
Over a period of two years, half were given a daily tablet containing high doses of the B vitamins folic acid, B6 and B12. The rest received a “dummy” placebo pill with no active ingredients.
At the end of the trial the effects of the vitamin treatment were found to be dramatic, and most pronounced in participants who started out with the highest rates of brain shrinkage.
On average, taking B vitamins slowed the rate of brain atrophy by 30 per cent, and in many cases reductions was as high as 53 per cent were seen.
Prof Smith said: “This is a very striking, dramatic result. It’s much more than we could have predicted.
“It is our hope that this simple and safe treatment will delay the development of Alzheimer’s disease in many people who suffer from mild memory problems.”
Although the trial was not designed to measure thinking ability, the researchers found that individuals with the lowest rates of shrinkage had the highest mental test scores.
Prof Smith said it was still early to say exactly how vitamin B worked.
“The treatment lowers homocysteine, lower homocysteine reduces brain shrinkage and that reduces cognitive decline,” he said.
The scientists stress that the doses of B vitamins used in the trial are much higher than would be obtained from diets and additives or normal health supplements.
The “TrioBe Plus” pills, prescribed under medical supervision in Sweden but not available in the UK, contain around 300 times the recommended daily intake of B12 and four times recommended folate levels.
However it is possible to copy the dose by buying three separate supplements from health food shops in Britain for as little as 10 pence a day.
The long-term effects of taking big doses of the vitamins were not known, and there was some evidence that high folic acid intake could be linked to cancer, he said.
While Prof Smith said anybody thinking of taking them should consult their doctor first, he personally felt they would be effective.
He said: “These are big doses. Should we take it? The person must be worried about their memory and then I would recommend going to their doctor first. But if I had MCI I would take it.”
Professor Helga Refsum, his co-author at University of Oslo who is a visiting academic at Oxford, said more trials were needed but the evidence was strong.
“As a scientist I am not happy with just one trial and there will be a large debate. But as a clinician sitting in front of a patient I would say vitamin B supplements are fairly safe, they are not expensive and what we have found here is extremely convincing. It is very difficult to argue against its use.”
The study was cautiously welcomed by other scientists although they said more studies were needed to back up the findings.
Rebecca Wood, chief executive of the Alzheimer’s Research Trust, which co-funded the study, said: “These are very important results, with B vitamins now showing a prospect of protecting some people from Alzheimer’s in old age.
“The strong findings must inspire an expanded trial to follow people expected to develop Alzheimer’s, and we hope for further success.
Chris Kennard, chair of the Medical Research Council’s Neurosciences and Mental Health Board, which also provided funding, said: “The findings are very encouraging and we look forward to further research that is needed in order to test whether B vitamins can be recommended as a suitable treatment.”
Paul Matthews, Professor of Clinical Neurology, Imperial College, London said: “This well-conducted study adds substantial new data to previous information suggesting that dietary B vitamins could have beneficial effects on neurodegeneration with ageing.”
A spokesman for the Alzheimer’s Society said:”This is an interesting study which could change the lives of thousands of people at risk of dementia.
“However, previous studies looking at B vitamins have been very disappointing and we wouldn’t want to raise people’s expectations yet, as we have not specifically seen any benefits in preventing the onset of the symptoms of dementia.”
Jeff Rense and Gerald Celente discuss what we eat and how it affects our lives.
Published 13 September, 2010, 06:31 Edited 14 September, 2010, 01:22
A Russian scientist says he has beaten the problem of aging and in just a few years the medicine that stops it will go on sale. Share178 Yahoo StumbleUpon Google Technorati del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mixx Propeller Professor Vladimir Skulachev says he managed to find an anti-oxidant that stops the gradual deterioration of health caused by age. It looks complicated and it certainly is.
For Vladimir Skulachev it is almost a life’s work. Two more years of testing and the doctor thinks he will have finally cracked the enigma of aging. Apparently it’s all about how oxygen reacts in the body. “99% of the time oxygen turns into harmless water, but there’s that one percent that turns into a super-oxide that later turns into very poisonous elements,” Vladimir Skulachev, Professor of Bioenergetics, reveals. “So the task was to find an anti-oxidant that stops that process.” And hence, according to the professor, it would also stop people from getting old.
He has been working to prefect his treatment for more than 40 years. The difficult part of the process has been to try and prevent any side-effects, he notes. Colleagues around the world think Dr Skulachev is on to something. Nobel Prize winner Dr. Gunter Blobel, M.D., Ph.D. at Rockefeller University, believes Skulachev’s theories look very realistic. “It has been shown that oxidative damage is huge. But we do not have an anti-oxidant of the type that Skulachev has developed. He coined the term bioenergetics. He is clearly the world’s best bio-chemist and bio-energetic scientist,” Blobel stated. The compound has already undergone animal testing and the results appear promising. Rats that have been given the drug are much more lively than those not treated. “Finally, we hope that we will manage to convince people that a single pill treats many threats of aging. So, it must be doing something with the aging itself,” Maksim Skulachev Cand. Sc. (Biology) explains. “Then, if authorities will accept this logic, maybe we could somehow market it as anti-aging drug.” After success with eye drops in animals, the inventor tried the medicine on his own cataract. Six months later, his physician told him his cataract was gone. Thousands are queuing to take part in the clinical trials, which have just begun. But it will be a few years before Dr Skulachev’s discovery reaches the shelves of an average pharmacy. Some have already dubbed the drug a panacea. And if it lives up to its promise, the treatment should have an effect on the diseases of aging and bring with it the prospect of a longer and better quality of life.
September 8, 2010
One by one, celebrities with cancer are killed off by the cancer industry and its extremely toxic (even inhumane) treatments of chemotherapy and radiation. The next potential victim is actor Michael Douglas, who recently revealed he is suffering from stage 4 throat cancer. While Douglas has the courage to admit his cancer was likely caused by his “smoking and drinking,” he hasn’t yet found the courage to question the toxicity of conventional cancer treatments. So he’s undergoing several weeks of chemotherapy and radiation “treatments” (if you can call them that).
According to his doctor, Douglas will undergo eight weeks of radiation combined with two rounds of chemotherapy. “Together, it has proven to give a good chance for a cure for the disease,” says Dr Kevin Cullen, director of the University of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Center. Apparently Dr Cullen is unaware that chemotherapy and radiation never “cure” cancer — they only temporarily shrink tumors while increasing the risk of cancer throughout the body.
One of the most prominent side effects of chemotherapy is, in fact, cancer! The same is true for radiation. These are both cancer-causing interventions in human biology. Instead of boosting immune function, they compromise it. And while they may temporarily shrink cancer tumors, recent research reveals that they don’t eliminate cancer tumor stem cells that can easily re-grow the tumor once the treatments are finished.
That’s why so many cancer tumors grow back after chemotherapy and radiation — the tumor still exists! Merely shrinking it is not an accurate gauge of any real reduction in the risk of the tumor growing back.
The only sure way to stop a cancer tumor from growing back is to change its environment by altering your exercise, diet and intake of anti-cancer foods, superfoods and medicinal herbs. By flooding your body’s cells with anti-cancer nutrients such as vitamin D, selenium, vitamin C and plant-based nutrients, your risk of growing cancer tumors is greatly decreased (by as much as 77% from vitamin D alone, according to the scientific research). (http://www.naturalnews.com/021892.html)
Chemo is the wrong choice
Celebrities who choose chemotherapy and radiation are usually the ones quick to die from their cancers. Patrick Swayze died after receiving chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer (http://www.naturalnews.com/027047_c…); Farrah Fawcett died after chemotherapy for anal cancer (http://www.naturalnews.com/026511_c…); Peter Jennings died after chemotherapy treatments for lung cancer; Tony Snow died after chemotherapy treatments for colon cancer (http://www.naturalnews.com/023626_c…).
But celebrities who choose a healthier, more holistic treatment plan seem to do much better. Perhaps most famously, Suzanne Somers overcame her own breast cancer by turning to natural remedies and a holistic lifestyle (http://www.naturalnews.com/027526_S…).
Sadly, Michael Douglas appears to be following in the footsteps of Patrick Swayze rather than Suzanne Somers. This is sad because Douglas is a phenomenal film actor and we’d all like to have him around for a few more decades so he can continue to contribute to his art. While chemotherapy isn’t guaranteed to take his life, it sets in motion an accelerated biological decline caused by the undeniable toxicity of chemo (not to mention the radiation).
Following these treatments, we are likely to see Michael Douglas age more quickly, suffer impaired cognitive function, show worsening skin health and experience increased fatigue. These are all things that may prevent him from pursuing his work, thereby denying us the joy of seeing him appear in more films.
What cancer docs won’t tell you
While it’s true that radiation and chemotherapy can shrink throat cancer tumors, that alone isn’t enough to restore a person to true health. Following any such cancer treatments, patient should be strongly encouraged to get more vitamin D, consume anti-cancer nutrients and even take nutritional supplements that can boost their immune function.
Sadly, oncologists are currently telling their patients none of these things. In fact, many cancer doctors insist that their patients avoid taking antioxidants, medicinal mushrooms or any source of antioxidants, claiming they might “interfere” with the chemotherapy.
In this way, oncologists doom their patients to pain, suffering and often death. That’s why chemotherapy is often called “physician-assisted suicide.” It’s a way to kill yourself while enriching the drug companies that manufacture chemotherapy agents.
What is chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy agents are derived from highly toxic mustard gas chemicals used as chemical weapons in World War I (http://www.naturalnews.com/029191_s…).
They are so toxic that pharmacists are getting cancer just from handling them.
The No. 1 side effect of chemotherapy is cancer. But it also causes “chemo brain” (the destruction of brain cells) and damages the liver and kidneys.
In choosing chemotherapy and radiation, Michael Douglas has bet his life on the illusion that conventional medicine is telling the truth about cancer. But the industry is actually lying to us all. Cancer is a multi-billion-dollar industry that preys upon the nutritional ignorance of the public while turning human beings into profit machines by promising them “treatments” that only worsen their health.
And sadly, Michael Douglas is the latest victim to be targeted for cancer industry profits.